You Can Be An Expert At Anything.
Ok. ok. So it is a big claim that this post will,
In a few hundred words teach you how to go from absolute beginner to expert at something.
It is so important to remember that every expert in every field was not born that way.
It is also safe to say that many of them have moved from one field to another to become an expert in their new field of choosing, so why is this?
Four processes of learning.
You can’t just go into something expecting to be an expert straight away. You must first understand the four processes of learning.
I will use learning to drive a manual transmission/stick shift car as an example for this as that is the example that was used for me in 2007.
- This is when you look at other people driving a car and think it is easy to drive, anyone can do it.
- The fact is you are unaware of your inability to control a motor vehicle/ automobile.
- It is not until you sit behind the wheel and go through the processes from checking mirrors, looking at the three pedals, stalling the engine and then realising that there is a lot more to this than you first thought.
It is this realisation that makes you move onto the next stage,
- This is when you fully realise that there is a lot you need to learn and apply before you can become competent at this.
- So after many hours of learning to drive, the time comes for your instructor to decide that you should take your driving test.
Once you pass your test you become,
- This is where you are capable of driving in most situations.
- You gradually gain experience of driving and improve your skills and knowledge.
- After a certain time it becomes second nature and you no longer need to give driving 100% concentration.
This is when you become,
- This is when you get into your vehicle, drive home and get out and wonder how you got home because you went almost into autopilot.
Choose your subject.
It is no good choosing a subject because you think there is money in it.
It is extremely important that you choose something that you enjoy, care about, or even better are truly passionate about.
The reason for this is you will almost certainly make no money in the beginning and you will have obstacles, setbacks and challenges to overcome.
If you do not enjoy what you are doing you will give up too soon on it. So make sure you choose wisely.
How Do I Become An Expert At….
Learn The Basics.
Sometimes it may be just learning the first thing you can about your chosen subject/niche.
Then write about what you understand on that subject via your blog,
write what confused you, what setbacks you had, what you excelled at.
Get it on there, you can look at this later as you progress it can show you how much you have learned and in what timescale
So many times I hear people say that they will wait to become an expert before they can write about it. MISTAKE!
Teaching others the information that you are learning helps you to understand it better because you look at different ways of explaining it. FACT!
So learn the basics and teach it forward. Take action.
The great thing about blogging is that you can change things as you understand them better.
Your blog grows with you, so you will create more value as time goes by.
Application Is Key.
You will never be an expert unless you apply what you are learning.
This gives you a better understanding of your subject and allows you to really see what you are amazing at and what you are not so good at.
Application gives you experience, and when experience and understanding meet they create knowledge.
Write about what you are doing, your setbacks, your challenges with this too.
This information will be worth a lot of money if used in the right way.
Being an expert at anything is never easy.
It takes time, commitment, dedication, persistence and effort.
Every expert gets paid a lot more for their information than others.
This is because they paid for this with their attitude and work ethic.
Any internet millionaire you hear or read about did not make it overnight.
The effort they put in beforehand gave them their results.
Onwards And Upwards To Success
You Get Out What You Put In.